CityU IAS News
IAS Senior Fellow Professor Herbert Gleiter receives the 2018 Czochralski Award
8 August 2018
Professor Herbert Gleiter, IAS Senior Fellow, has been honored the 2018 Czochralski Award from the European Materials Research Society (E-MRS). The award recognizes the achievements of Professor Gleiter in the field of Advanced Materials Science.
Professor Gleiter is the Founding Director of the "Herbert Gleiter Institute of Nanoscience" at Nanjing University of Science and Technology and the Distinguished Senior Professor and Academician at the Institute für Nanotechnology at KIT Karlsruhe in Germany.
In 1989, Professor Gleiter initiated the development of new class of noncrystalline solids, the nano-glasses. The present work of Professor Gleiter focuses on the application of nanotechnology to probe limits of Quantum Physics in systems of macroscopic size.
Professor Gleiter has received more than 40 prizes/awards throughout his career, including the Leibniz and Max Planck Prize as well as four honorary doctorates and several honorary professorships. He is a member of 10 National Academies as well as an Honorary Member of several professional societies.
About Czochralski Award
The award is named for Professor Jan Czochralski, a famous Polish scientist known for his discovery of the technology for growing single crystals, now known as the Czochralski Method. Taking into account the merits of Czochralski for materials science, technology transfer to industry, and international collaboration, the European Materials Research Society (E-MRS) established an award in recognition of his contributions.
Past recipients of the Jan Czochralski Award included:
- 2005 - Professor Walter HEYWANG, formerly Director of Research of Siemens
- 2006 - Professor Boris PATON, the long term President of the Ukraine National Academy of Science
- 2007 - Professor Thaddeus B. MASSALSKI from Carnegie Mellon University
- 2008 - Professor Shuji NAKAMURA from University of California and Prof. Kurt Heinz Juergen BUSCHOW from University of Amsterdam
- 2009 - Professor Hermann GRIMMEISS from University of Lund
- 2010 - Professor Mildred DRESSELHAUS from MIT, USA
- 2011 - Professor Federico CAPASSO from Harvard University, USA
- 2012 - Professor Anthony M. GLAZER from Clarendon Laboratory, U.K
- 2013 - Professor Sylwester POROWSKI, IHPP, PAS, Poland
- 2014 - Professor George M. WHITESIDES, Harvard University, USA
- 2015 - Professor Claes-Göran GRANQVIST, The Angström Laboratory, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2016 - Professor Manijeh RAZEGHI, Northwestern University, USA
- 2017 - Professor Elvira FORTUNATO, CENIMAT - Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- 2018 - Professor Herbert GLEITER - Research Centre Karlsruhe (INT), Germany
[ Back ]