Professor David Srolovitz
Senior Fellow of Hong Kong Institute for Advanced Study, City University of Hong Kong
Head and Chair Professor at City University of Hong Kong
Member of National Academy of Engineering, USA
Fellow of Materials Research Society, USA
Recipient of MRS Materials Theory Award
- 2012-(present) : Joseph Bordogna Professor of Engineering and Applied Science, Departments of Materials Science & Engineering and Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania
- 2012-(present) : Secondary Faculty, Dept. of Computer & Information Science, University of Pennsylvania
- 2012-(present) : Director, Penn Institute for Computational Science, University of Pennsylvania
- 2012 : Scientific Director, A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council
- 2009-2012 : Executive Director, A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing, Singapore
- 2006-2009 : Dean & Prof of Physics, Yeshiva College, Yeshiva University, New York, NY
- 2006-2012 : Visiting Senior Research Scholar, Princeton University
- 2004-2006 : Chair, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University
- 2003-2008 : Visiting Investigating Prof., Inst. of Materials Research & Engineering, Singapore (2 mo/yr)
- 2003-2004 : Interim Director, Princeton Materials Institute, Princeton University
- 1999-2006 : Professor, Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics, Princeton Institute for Computational Science and Engineering, Princeton Institute for the Science & Technology of Materials, Princeton University
- 1997-1999 : Edward DeMille Campbell Prof. of Materials Science & Eng., University of Michigan
- 1991-1999 : Professor, Materials Science & Eng., Applied Physics Prog., University of Michigan
- 1993-1994 : Michael Visiting Professor, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- 1987-1991 : Associate Professor (with tenure), Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering, Applied Physics Program, University of Michigan
- 1984-1987 : Staff Member - Theory Div., Materials Sci. & Tech. Div., Los Alamos National Laboratory
- 1982-1984 : Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Exxon Research and Eng. Co.
Theoretical and computational studies of the structure, properties, formation and
evolution of solid state (metals, semiconductors, ceramic) materials. Computational studies are
on the continuum, microstructural, atomistic and electronic scales. The major research foci of
my studies have included:
- Microstructural evolution (morphology, stress effects, grain growth, dislocations)
- Defects (surfaces, grain boundaries, dislocations, point defects )
- Deformation (defects, flow, stability, effects on microstructure, fracture)
- Film Growth (sputtering, evaporation, CVD - morphology, texture, stresses)
Published widely in Materials Science, Applied Physics, Physics, Mechanics literatures.
Honors and Awards
- Dow Lecture, Dept. of Materials Science & Eng., Northwestern University, 2016
- Midwest Mechanics Tour Lecture, 10 mechanics lecturers throughout the Midwest, 2016
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2015
- 32nd Annual Alexander Graham Christie Lecture, Dept. of Mechanical Eng., Johns Hopkins Univ., 2015
- The Ng Kong Beng Public Lecture, National Library of Singapore/Institute of Mathematical Sciences, 2015
- Materials Theory Award, Materials Research Society, 2013
- Fellow, TMS, 2013
- Distinguished Lecturer, Institute of Advanced Study, Hong Kong Univ. of Science & Technology, 2011
- Commencement Speaker, National University of Singapore, 2010
- Baetjer Lecturer, Princeton University, 2010
- Fellow, Materials Research Society, 2009
- Fred Weinberg Memorial Lecturer, University of British Columbia, 2009
- Founding Investigator, Visiting Investigator Program, A*Star, Singapore 2003-2006
- Fellow, Institute of Physics (Great Britain), 1999
- Fellow, ASM International, 1998
- Outstanding Paper Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 1997
- Edward deMille Campbell Chair of Materials Science & Eng., 1997
- NASA Tech. Transfer Certificate of Recognition, 1995
- Teaching Excellence Award, MSE Department, 1995
- ASM Research Silver Medal, 1994
- Michael Visiting Fellow, Weizimann Institute of Science, 1993-1994
- Faculty Honoree - The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 1993
- Research Excellence Award, UM College of Engineering, 1993
- ALCOA Foundation Fellow - 1992
- Henry Russel Award, single most outstanding University of Michigan junior faculty, 1991
- Outstanding Paper Award, NASA Materials Division - 1989
- Exxon Foundation Awardee - 1988
- Elected to Sigma Xi, 1988
- Outstanding Paper Award, Acta Metallurgica, 1985
- Yerger Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 1980
- NATO Fellowship, 1980
- Chair, SIAM meeting on Mathematical Aspects of Materials Science, 2016
- Chair, International Committee, Multiscale Materials Modeling Conferences, 2016-present
- Science Advisor, US-Israel Binational Science Foundation, 2016-
- Chair, Ministry of Education of Singapore, Tier 2 Panel on Physics and Engineering, 2012-present
- Chair, Multiscale Materials Modeling Conference, 2012
- President, Society for Engineering Science, 2005
- Board of Directors, Materials Research Society, 2005-2007
- Chair, Meetings Vision Task Force, Materials Research Society, 2004
- Vice-President, Society for Engineering Science, 2004
- Founding Editor-In-Chief, Interface Science journal, Kluwer Academic Press
- Associate Editor, Multiscale Computational Engineering, Begel
- Principle Editor, Journal of Materials Research, Materials Research Society
- Executive Editorial Board, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering (Inst. of Physics)
- Editorial Board of Materials Transactions of Japan, Computational Materials Science, Defect and Diffusion Forum, Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics
- Editor, Modelling of Materials Book Series, published by Elsevier Science Limited.
- Physics Advisory Committee, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, member
- DARPA Defense Sciences Research Council, member, 1989-1996
- National Research Council studies, member of several different studies
- MRS, Program Committee, member
- MRS Fall Meeting 2000, co-Chair
- Co-Chair, Gordon Research Conference Physical Metallurgy, 2002
- TMS, President's Advisory Committee, member
- TMS, Physics and Chemistry of Materials Committee, member
- ASM, Computer Simulation Committee, vice-chair
- ASM, Awards Committee, member
- Joint TMS/ASM Committee on Distinguished Lectureship in Materials and Society, chair
- APS, Division of Materials Physics, member
- National Science Foundation - Panel on Computation in Materials Science
- US Department of Energy – Co-organizer “Opportunities in Materials Modelling”
- Symposium Organizer, more than 20 MRS, TMS, ASM, APS symposia
- International Committees: many materials science and physics conferences
- Advisory Committee - Sandia National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Livermore National Laboratory, EPSRC - UK
- Consultant – Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, MSI, Exxon Research and Engineering Co.
- Equation of Motion for a Grain Boundary, Zhang, L. | Han, J. | Xiang, Y. | Srolovitz, D.J., Physical Review Letters, 2017
- Reconciling grain growth and shear-coupled grain boundary migration, Thomas, S.L. | Chen, K. | Han, J. | Purohit, P.K. | Srolovitz, D.J., Nature Communications, 2017
- Synthesis and Physical Properties of Phase-Engineered Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Monolayer Heterostructures, Naylor, C.H. | Parkin, W.M. | Gao, Z. | Berry, J. | Zhou, S. | Zhang, Q. | McClimon, J.B. | Tan, L.Z. | Kehayias, C.E. | Zhao, M.-Q. | Gona, R.S. | Carpick, R.W. | Rappe, A.M. | Srolovitz, D.J. | Drndic, M. | Johnson, A.T.C., ACS Nano, 2017
- Nanocrystalline copper films are never flat, Zhang, X. | Han, J. | Plombon, J.J. | Sutton, A.P. | Srolovitz, D.J. | Boland, J.J., Science, 2017
- The grain-boundary structural unit model redux, Han, J. | Vitek, V. | Srolovitz, D.J., Acta Materialia, 2017
- Computer Simulation of Microstructural Evolution, ed. D. J. Srolovitz, AIME, Warrendale, Pa. (1986).
- Atomistic Simulations of Materials: Beyond Pair Potentials, eds. V. Vitek and D. J. Srolovitz, Plenum, NY (1989).
- Evolution of Thin Film and Surface Microstructure, eds. C. V. Thompson, D. J. Srolovitz and J. Y. Tsao, (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1991), Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 202.
- Modeling and Simulation of Thin-Film Processing, eds. C. A. Volkert, D.J. Srolovitz, R.J. Kee, and M.J. Fluss, (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, 1995), Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Volume 389.
- B.S. Bokstein, M.I. Mendelev, and D.J. Srolovitz, Thermodynamics and Kinetics in Materials Science: A short course, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2005 (Hardcover ISBN: 0198528035 and Paperback ISBN: 0198528043)
Chapters in Books
- D. J. Srolovitz, "Computer Simulation of Microstructural Evolution,” in Advances in Materials Science & Engineering - 2nd Supplementary Volume of the Encyclopedia of Materials Science and Engineering, ed. R. W. Cahn (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1990), pg. 845-854.
- D. J. Srolovitz, W. H. Yang, R. Najafabadi, H. Y. Wang, and R. LeSar, "Microstructural and Segregation Effects in the Fracture of Polycrystals,” in Atomic-Level Properties of Interface Materials, ed. D. Wolf and S. Yip (Chapman and Hall, London, 1992), pg. 691-702.
- M. A. Grinfeld and D. J. Srolovitz, "Stress Driven Morphological Instabilities and Islanding of Epitaxial Films,” in Properties of Strained and Relaxed Silicon Germanium, ed. E. Kasper (INSPEC, IEE, 1994), pg. 3-16.
- D. J. Srolovitz, "Computer Simulation of Microstructural Evolution,” in Encyclopedia of Advanced Materials, ed. D. Bloor, R. J. Brook, M. C. Flemings, & S. Mahajan (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1994).
- D. J. Srolovitz, R. Najafabadi and V. M. Nabutovsky, "Order-Disorder Transitions At (001) Metal Surfaces,” in Advances in Physical Metallurgy, ed. S. Banerjee and R. V. Ramanujan, (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1995), pg. 200-211.
- C. C. Battaile and D. J. Srolovitz, "Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulation of Chemical Vapor Deposition,” in Annual Review of Materials Research, Vol. 32, ed. R. LeSar and J. M. Rickman, (Annujal Reviews, Palo Alto, 2002), pg. 297-319.
- Y. Xiang, S.S. Quek, Y.W. Zhang, A.T. Lim, and D.J. Srolovitz, “Dislocation Dynamics in 2+ Dimensions: slip planes, thin films, and grain boundaries,” in Multiscale Modeling and Analysis for Materials Simulation (World Scientific, Singapore, 2011), pg 1-31.